Higher education is an ever-changing landscape. There is always something new for students and educators alike. Understanding the way academia works is vital if you plan to get ahead and succeed. Even if you don’t plan to make your career in higher education, it can help to get a college degree, since you are more likely to find a job with a higher salary if you have completed some measure of college education.
In the end, you want the inside scoop, whether you are a student, an educator or an administrator. There are a number of blogs that can help you navigate the ins and outs of higher education, from admissions to news and trends to college life. Here are 50 top higher education blogs:
Higher Education News and Trends
Keep up with the latest developments in the world of higher education. This news is great for involved students, as well as educators and administrators who want to stay on top of the political and social influences that affect higher education.
- Eduwonk: This is a premier blog that offers news, insight and commentary on higher education issues.
- Reality Check: A critical look at what is happening at higher education — whether it’s getting better or worse.
- The Ticker: Addresses the political issues, budgetary problems and other woes that can beset higher education.
- Changing Higher Education: A look at how higher education can adapt to fit the changing times, especially in terms of costs.
- The Higher Ed Watch Blog: Learn about access to higher education, and keep up with schools’ efforts to meet certain standards.
- How The University Works: An eye-opening look at the industry of higher education in America.
- Open Education: A look at what could happen with a free education for all. An interesting take on today’s business of higher education.
- Educated Nation: Learn about higher education, student loans, what to expect — and debate whether a degree is really worth it.
- Minding the Campus: Explores the traditions of a liberal education, and what can be done to bring them back.
- Edu in Review: Offers study hacks, information on life on campus and other insights into college life.
- College Times: This is a great look at campus life, with guides, tips and reviews.
- Surviving College Life: Get an inside view of college, and find helpful posts on how to get through it with flair.
- College Candy: Get the lowdown on relationships in college. A fun — and sometimes crude — take on college life.
- The Quad: The New York Times covers campus happenings, and news from around the country.
- Zen College Life: Learn how to find peace in the midst of the bustle of college, including information on life and finances while at university.
- Grad Student Madness: Get a look at life as a grad student.
- College Football by the Numbers: If you are into supporting your team, this blog is the place for you.
College Admissions and Administrators
- Allen’s College Admissions Blog: Learn about what it takes to get into college, and see some info on getting into specific schools.
- The Uncommon Blog: The University of Chicago offers you an inside look at college admissions and administration.
- Not Your Average Admissions Blog: Get a look beneath the surface of the college admissions process from this George Mason University dean.
- Happy Schools Blog: Learn more about getting into the school you prefer.
- Great College Advice: Get expert help on college admissions and higher education.
- Eric Stoller’s Blog: This is a great higher education blog from an Oregon State University employee in academic affairs.
- Lesboprof: This is a thought-provoking look at a number of issues, written by lesbian academic administrator.
- BizDeansTalk: Learn more about management education at the university level from business college deans.
- Confessions of a Community College Dean: If you are interested in more about the community college end of higher education, this blog is a great place to start.
- The Little Professor: A look at academics — and all things Victorian.
- The Doctor Isn’t: A first hand look at what it’s like to work in higher education.
- Blogenspiel: This professor shares thoughts, insights and personal stories about college life and learning.
- University Diaries: Descriptions of university life from an English professor trying to change things.
- Tomorrow’s Professor Blog: A look at the challenges that face students in higher education.
- Rate Your Students: This professor shares stories of annoying students. It’s the professor’s answer to Rate My Professors.
- Absurdist Paradise: If you are looking for a career in academia when you get done with college, this blog is a must-read. A professor talks about being on the tenure track.
- The Bitter and the Sweet: Looking at the ups and downs of life in higher education.
Online College Learning
Technology is making it possible to participate in the learning aspects of higher education without having to physically be on campus. Here are some great blogs about online education and learning.
- Continuing Education: Get updated on how you can keep up with your education online.
- My Continuing Education: Learn more about online learning and university courses.
- Online Education Blog: Keep up with trends in online learning, and find colleges that can help you with online degrees.
- Unlocking Higher Education: Well-known online school Kaplan University offers insights into distance higher education.
- Rick Osborn’s Continuing Education Blog: Adult higher education topics are discussed, along with online learning.
- Education Trends: Learn more about education trends and online higher education from Gatlin Educaton Services.
- Continuing Education: Learn about keeping your mind sharp, distance learning and more.
- E-learning Queen: Tips and information on e-learning, and online university.
Higher Education Technology
- Blackboard Blogs: Learn more about using the interactive assignment and project system Blackboard.
- academhack: Get the lowdown on the latest tech tools that can help you with your academic career.
- Serendipity35: Helpful hints, hacks and more relating to how you can use technology to improve your higher education experience.
- The Wired Campus: A look at how technology is improving the experience in higher education.
- eduStyle: Looks at how different campuses are doing in terms of integrating technology.
- CollegeWebEditor.com: Offers helpful insights aimed at helping educators improve their technological savvy.
- Teaching College Math: Learn about how technology can aid in learning math concepts at the university level.
- The UK Higher Education Blog: Microsoft offers a look at how technology is used in British higher education.
Did you enjoy this article?